Monday, May 11, 2009

My Sweet Sophie

I don't think I can tell the whole story again, so here it is in writing. On Friday May 8, 2009 Sophie stopped breathing. THANK THE LORD that Dave and I were both home or else we would not have her with us. I had just got out of the shower when Dave pounded on the door yelling "Caryn, Caryn, Sophie stopped breathing!" I grabbed her and screamed, "Sophie! Sophie, wake up!!" Nothing. Dave dialed 911 and I was screaming hysterically, "Sophie! Sophie!" Dave handed me the phone and took Sophie. The dispatcher told me to calm down and listen carefully. She walked us thru the steps of cpr (2 breaths, 30 pushes) He did one round...still nothing. The dispatcher said to repeat it until the ambulance came. I made sure he had it down, threw on a shirt, grabbed Bridgete's hand (she had witnessed everything that was happening) and ran her over to the neighbors. All the while I am pleading with the Lord to not take our baby girl. Bridgete went willingly with her big brown eyes staring at me. I managed to reassure her that everything will be ok; when I myself was not even sure. THe police arrived while I was doing this. It seemed like eternity for the fire department and ambulance to show up (in reality it took three minutes). Eventually they came and ran as fast as they could inside. The police said, "Maybe you should stay outside while they work on her." I did and pleaded and begged with the Lord for Sophie's life I was sobbing and shaking uncontrollably. Soon, a big police officer came out and said, "She is breathing and she is going to be fine." I hugged him and said, "thank you." I stayed on the porch while they rushed her to the ambulance. I ran inside and grabbed some shoes and rode with them. I heard her cry and it was the sweetest sound EVER! We got to the hospital and they were able to stabilize her. She was tranfered two hours later to UC Davis Pediatric ICU. They are incredible there. I am so so thankful for the medical advances of today. Without them, she would not have made it.
They are suspecting Pertussis is what she has. They said she would be in there for 10-14 days. Today she is doing better (Monday the 11th). She would stop breathing but today she hasn't done that,so that is a good sign. She is real puffy from all the stuff in her system but she is still so cute. There are so many other things to tell, but I can't go into every detail. The important thing is that she is here.
Thank you for all your prayers and love and support. Our families have been wonderful and so has our ward family and friends and neighbors. It means so much to us. I thank the Lord that she is here with us. We love her so much. Still keep her in your prayers. I will try to get back here soon with an update.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

My Dear Lord! We will pray for her!

Lisa said...

I put a request for prayer on my site. i hope you don't mind.

Amanda Weir said...

Sweet Sophie! Glad to see she is doing better.
We are so happy that we were able to be there 2weeks ago for her blessing and see what a sweet, good and cute baby she is.
We love you guys and she is in our prayers!

Jen Engberson said...

I am so thankful that she is doing better! I'm sending much love and prayers to you guys. She is still so cute even with all of those tubes! xoxo Love you!

jenni bishop said...

Oh Sophie! We are praying for her and all of you. We love you guys!

Melissa said...

We are so sad to hear about Sophie! We will keep her, and all of you in our prayers. She is adorable.

EvansFamily said...

Uhg! I can't imagine! With a new baby of my own, I am bawling wondering how you are handling this. I am so glad to hear she is doing better. We will add our prayers with everyone elses.