Tuesday, April 28, 2009

It just Warms my Heart

when my kids stand up for what is right. Spencer told me a story yesterday that made me so so proud!!!
He got invited to a birthday party that was taking place on Sunday. (I don't understand why people have parties on the Sabbath.) Spencer came home and told me about it and said, "Mom, this is a really hard decision for me to make, but I know I should go to church and not to the party even though it will be really fun." Killin me, boy! So I called and explained that he couldn't go because we like to keep the Sabbath day holy.
Yesterday in the car I asked him if he told his friend why he didn't go to his party.
This was the conversation a couple of first graders had:
Spencer said, "I can't go to your party because it is on Sunday and I have to go to church." His friend said, "I know, but my party is after church." Spencer said, (this is the part I love) "I know, but if I went I wouldn't be keeping the Sabbath Day holy." I asked him what his friend said after that....nothing; they just went and played tag.
Needless to say, my heart was bursting with pride for my 6 1/2 year old's son's righteous decision. Those are the moments that warm your heart and let you know that you are raising honorable, good children.