Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Two Week Challenge!

This challenge might not seem like a big deal to some of you and I KNOW some of you could NOT do it; but I have prevailed!
The Challenge: For two weeks, do not buy any groceries (other than milk, eggs and bread). Plan a two week menu with the food that we already had in the freezer, fridge and pantry. We are allowed ONE night out if it involves a coupon at a restaurant.
Sounds easy, right? I admit, some nights it was, but come the 11th day, we were eating some interesting meals. I ran out of chicken (argh) so I was trying to get creative with other meat. Last night I was soooo my Mom. We had Slum Gulley. I kept saying to myself, "I am so Gerda Bishop right now!" But hey, the kids gobbled it up. Actually I find myself saying that a lot when I cook. Especially when I do a cup of fruit on the side (trademark of my mom that I do all the time :o)
All in all, I am glad I did this. I cannot wait to go get more chicken! We definitely saved money and I have become more creative with what I can throw together. I love when the kids ask me, "What is this called?" I have come up with a lot of names lately.
Ok, off to the store...finally!

4 comments:

Stacey Bishop said...

That is awesome. The problem with that concept is that some of us aren't so good at just "throwing things together" My reality of this would drive Adam away....not that he expects much for dinner from me anymore anyway ;)

Maybe you need to start a cooking blog or put a few recipes on the side bar for those of us who need the inspiration!!

Amanda Weir said...

You just got to LOVE the fruit on the side. We had watermelon as a side dish tonight. I think Stacey has a great idea. I am one that needs a little help.

jenni bishop said...

I think I'm too weak for the challenge! But, I may be willing to try! I just don't want cereal to end up on the dinner table!

Maybe we should start discussing how we plan to feed everyone every day while we are all at your house! We need to split the cost of groceries or something!

Lisa said...

I am the WORST cook ever so that challenge would be hard for me. How did you do it? What did you cook?